The City of Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue is rich in events and outdoor and cultural activities that delight the citizens throughout the year.
Life in Sainte-Anne is the pleasure and calm of the countryside, 20 minutes from downtown Montreal. With a historical village, sports facilities of all kinds, a focus on environment and wildlife and an exceptional waterfront, it is definitely good to live in Sainte-Anne!
Designation : Ville (City)
Constitution : April 18, 1878
Merged with Ville de Montréal : January 1st, 2002
Reconstitution : January 1st, 2006 (Decree 977-2005)
N.E.Q. (Quebec Enterprise Number) : 8831858301
Area : 11,20 km2
Population : 5 012
Administrative Region : Montréal (06)
Electoral Districts :
- Provincial: Jacques-Cartier (412) -- MNA : Gregory Kelley
- Federal: Lac-Saint-Louis (24036) -- MP : Francis Scarpaleggia
Next Elections : 2121
Voting System : First past the post
Territorial Division : Districts (6)
Gentilic : Annabellevois, oise
The City of Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue is located on a passageway taken by the First Nations before the Europeans arrived on the territory. The territory then bears the names Tiotenactokte (in Algonquin: Here are the last encampments) or Skanawetsy (in Iroquois: Rapids). These two toponyms illustrate precisely the particular geographical situation of what will become Sainte-Anne.
Beginning in the late 1780s, Scottish immigrants associated with the North West Company moved to Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue. Simon Fraser, a major fur trader, owns a house there. In 1840-43, the federal government builds the Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue lock. The Canal plays a very important role in Canadian maritime trade; it is the only access route to the Great Lakes and is part of the Montreal-Ottawa-Kingston waterway.
The Village of Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue is founded in 1878 and is incorporated as a City in 1895, shortly after the Canadian Pacific builds the railway bridge over the Canal, parallel to that of the Grand Trunk.
In the early 20th century, the campuses of Macdonald College and John-Abbott College alter the social and urban dynamics of the village. In 1917, the Federal Government erects a hospital to care for World War 1 veterans. Garden City Press, which prints educational and technical journals, moves into the City in 1919, bringing a new vision for urban planning.
In 1924, the Quebec Government built the Galipeault Bridge over the Sainte-Anne Canal and linking Île Perrot to Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue. In the 1960s, buildings erected in the 19th century were demolished and replaced by new ones, which are still in place today. In 1987, a pedestrian and bicycle boardwalk was built along the canal.
For any request to the City, you must use the Online Request System. This system makes it possible to answer all requests and to produce reports in order to highlight recurring problems.
Services related to taxation and assessment, payment of fines, regulations and permits
Ensuring the security of the territory and citizens and enforcing municipal by-laws
Public Works - Municipal Garage
Maintenance of the public domain and urban furniture, snow clearing
Recreation Department - Harpell Center
It includes services related to recreation and culture
There is a collection of over 21,400 printed documents, CDs, DVDs, language courses, and more.
Composed of the mayor and six councilors, the Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue City Council represents citizens, legislators and administrators. For more information on current City Council members, electoral districts, advisory committees, and the meetings schedule, please visit the Democratic Life section of our website.
|NAMES||YEARS IN OFFICE|
|Thomas Grenier||1880-1884, 1885-1886|
|M. C. Bezner||1898-1899, 1901-1905, 1909-10, 1915-1916|
|L.N.F. Cypihot||1900, 1921-1922|
|Guisolphe Daoust||1906, 1917-1920|
|Bruno Lalonde||1907-1908, 1913-1914|
|Joseph Séraphin Vallée||1911-1912|
|L.J. Boileau||1923-1931, 1933-1934|
|A.R. Demers||1932, 1935-1938|
|Bill Tierney||1994-2001, 2005-2009|